The Mathematics major introduces students to the fundamentals of mathematics and provides them with opportunities to study subjects in both math and applied math.
Approximately 60% of our recent graduates received a BS in mathematics with the remaining 40% receiving a BS in mathematics with teacher licensure. Of those that graduated in mathematics, approximately half have gone on to graduate work.
Candidates for a BS in mathematics must complete, with a “C” average or better, an ITS programming course and a minimum of 33 semester hours in mathematics, with 18 of the semester hours at the 300 level or above and including Calculus III, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, and Modern Abstract Algebra.
Student who desire licensure to teach mathematics in the secondary schools of North Carolina must complete, with a “C” or better, at least 36 semester hours in mathematics including Calculus III, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, Modern Abstract Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Methods of Teaching Mathematics, and a capstone project. Students must acquire and maintain a 2.500 grade-point average to be admitted into the teacher education program and complete the professional education requirements.
A student wishing to minor in mathematics must complete, with a “C” average or better, 18 semester hours in mathematics including Calculus I-III and two additional approved courses above the 224 level.